When Cassandra asked me if we could include her French Bulldog Gino in her Maternity photos, my immediate answer was YES! Of course! I myself have a French Bulldog, who of course is my whole world - so I was happy to let Gino join in on the fun!
We decided to have Cassandra's session at Ribera Beach in Carmel and it was a great spot for Gino to be able to run around and have fun exploring the area.
Below are some helpful tips and tricks to help your session run smoothly when you bring along your furry friend. Your dog is a member of your family, why not include them in documenting this amazing time in your life? I hope you find this advice helpful and it helps you design the PURFECT photo session for you!
Some tips for bringing your dog to your maternity (or any) photo session:
- Check to see if the location for your session allows animals.
- If your dog is not friendly with other dogs, make sure to choose a secluded location to avoid any issues.
- Make sure your photographer is comfortable with animals. I love including pets, but some don't!
- Make sure to bring water if you plan on walking a lot or if the weather calls for hot weather.
- Take your dog for lots of walks/runs right before your session. Tire them out! It will help your photographer if they are not so excited.
- Make some kind of accommodations for your dog when they are not needed for the session. Have them wait in the car (if the weather permits), or bring along a "dog nanny" when it's time for mamas solo shots.
- If your dog will have on a leash, harness, or doggie clothes - try and find something neutral that won't distract from you!
- Don't forget to bring bags to clean up accidents!
- Try not to get frustrated with your dog during the session if they aren't doing what they're told. Animals are NOT people and they don't always listen to direction, and that's OKAY!
- Either bring treats along or make sure that your photographer does - they can help immensely with "posing".